Diabetes is a metabolic disorder whereby there is an excessive amount of blood sugar. When blood sugar regulation fails in our bodies, we may end up with two opposing scenarios. Hyperglycemia denotes an elevated state of blood glucose. Hypoglycemia on the other hand is used to describe a state of low blood sugar. However, the case that is becoming more prevalent worldwide is hyperglycemia. Diabetes. It seems to go hand in hand with the adoption of western lifestyles. These incidences are rare in primitive communities where people lead a more natural lifestyle and engage in a lot of physical activities on a daily basis. They also consume whole foods as opposed to refined and processed in the western lifestyle.
Types of Diabetes
There are three major types of diabetes that we commonly come across. We have type 1, type 2 and gestational diabetes.
Type 1 Diabetes
This was formerly referred to as insulin-dependent or juvenile onset diabetes. It is characterized by commencing during childhood, around the ages of about 8 to 12 years but it may also occur at other ages. In this case the victims pancrease isn’t able to produce adequate insulin to help lower the blood sugar after a meal. When the blood glucose levels exceed the kidneys threshold, the excess glucose spills over into the urine.
This group is managed through the use of injectable insulin. Diet therapy also plays a major role here. This will be provided by a nutritionist or any other appropriate expert. They are generally prone to ketosis.
Type 2 Diabetes
This form of diabetes begins at about the age of 40 and is the most common. In this group blood glucose is not readily transferred into cells. The victim therefore ends up with an elevated blood glucose levels. They suffer from insulin resistance. Most of these people may suffer from obesity. Others may have genetic family history with the disease. Some of the people who are obese have been able to reverse their condition through off loading the extra baggage. With this group therefore, insulin injections may not be of much help. There are a number of drugs that are effective and can be obtained through a prescription from a qualified health worker. Diet therapy advice by a nutritionist or an expert also plays a major role in the management.
Causes of Type 2 Diabetes
- Pancreatic disease
- Junk foods
- High blood pressure
This type of diabetes is common amongst some women during pregnancy. They develop elevated blood sugar. There are appropriate medication by prescription through a qualified healthcare provider. A nutritionist will also help in the redesigning your menu bearing in mind both your physical and health status. However, most revert back to normal after delivery.
Symptoms of Diabetes
- Vaginal infections
- Blurred vision
- Numbness and tingling in both hands and feet.
- Sexual inadequacy
- Frequent urination
- Systemic weight loss
Diabetes Beneficial Foods/Foods that Heal
Let your food be your medicine and your medicine be your food as said by Hippocrates is so much true here. Foods contain a host of active nutrients. Some of these have properties and action just like insulin. Some even help modify tissue resistance to insulin. However, there also exist foods that promote diabetes. Most of these are man made processed foods. They even promote obesity which is high in the list of suspects that may be promoting diabetes.
Beneficial Foods in Diabetes
- Bitter gourd
- Green chili
- White radish
- Green onions
- Lady finger
These amongst other foods are friendly for the diabetic. Do your research and add more to your database. Diet can control and manage diabetes if combined with excercise.
Diabetes Foods to Avoid/Foods that Harm
One mans food has been said may end up being another man’s poison. Well this apparently is the scenario here. Many people are addicted to that taste of sweetness in the mouth as they chew or drink food. Little do these people suspect that all that glitters is not gold. They do not understand the law of sowing and reaping in the universe. What you sow today (in your youth) you shall reap more of the same at harvest time in the future(old age). Find below a list of suspect ‘seeds’ that may either light the fire of diabetes in future or add more fuel to the fire!
Food to avoid:
- Sugary foods
- French fries
- Canned fruits
- Potato chips
- Sugary breakfast cereals
- White rice
- White bread
- White refined flour
We can therefore see that most cases of diabetes type 2 may be prevented, halted or even reversed through lifestyle adjustments. Equipped with what may promote diabetes onset and what may keep it in check puts the power of your health squarely in your hands.
Send comments here
- 10 Extraordinary Sesame Seeds Health Benefits- Pentaglax Home RemediesSesame seeds are one of the oldest crops in the world and have been used in traditional medicine for centuries. They are an excellent source of essential nutrients, including magnesium, calcium, iron, and zinc. Sesame seeds are also a good source of fiber and protein. Sesame seeds have many health benefits, including lowering cholesterol and …
- 10 Unbelievable Caraway Seeds Health Benefits – Pentaglax Home RemediesCaraway is the dried fruit of the caraway plant, native to Europe and Asia. The seeds have a pungent flavor similar to anise and are used to flavor a variety of dishes, from bread and cheese to soups and stews. Caraway seeds are also used to make a variety of health-related products, including dietary supplements …
- 10 Benefits of Grapes to Your Health – Pentaglax Home RemediesGrapes has many health benefits, including blood pressure control, weight loss, skin health, hair health, blood sugar regulation and cardiovascular health. Nutrition Facts of Grapes Grapes are nutritionally dense. It is rich in vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients. It is also rich in a phytonutrient called resveratrol. It has many therapeutic benefits in preventing and neutralizing …
- Boswellia Health Benefits and Chronic Pain Management – Pentaglax Home RemediesBoswellia serrata or frankinsence contains chemicals that can lower inflammation, pain, reduce swelling and improve the body’s immune response. Extracts of Boswellia serrata juice, bark and other plant parts have been used orally for therapeutic purposes. People use Boswellia serrata to treat osteoarthritis. Nutritional Content Gum resin is a part of Boswellia serrata commonly used …
- 10 Incredible Basil Benefits and Uses – Pentaglax Home RemediesBasil benefits and uses include anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, aids digestion, regulates blood sugar, lowers cholesterol, reduces weight, and more. Basil Nutritional Facts Basil is rich in vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients. It all works together to deliver the health-promoting properties of the leaves, teas and oils. It contains iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, beta carotene, vitamins B1, …