Bitter melon, karela or bitter gourd (Lagenaria vulgaris) is a bitter vegetable that may have originated from Africa and found it’s way to India and other countries. It grows quiet well in warm humid climates. They are consumed both as food and medicine. It’s a rich source of flavonoids, antioxidants, polyphenols etc. These help exert it’s powerful medicinal properties.
Bitter melon is generally low in calories. It’s a nutrient dense vegetable. It boasts of being a rich source of minerals that includes: iron, manganese, zinc, magnesium, calcium, phosphorus and potassium. Bitter melon also has vitamins that include: Vitamins A, B1, B2, B3. It also has folate and dietary fiber.
Bitter gourd juice purifies the blood, it helps cleanse the kidneys, helps eradicate parasites, regulates blood sugar etc.
Also check 10 Health Benefits of Fenugreek Seeds
Bitter Melon Health Benefits
We have two forms of cholesterol. The good cholesterol does not get deposited in our arteries. However, the bad oxidized form is the one that is harmful. It gets deposited in the arteries leading to narrowing and hardening. This condition is often referred to as arteriosclerosis. This narrowing and hardening are at the foundation of promoting cardiovascular diseases such as high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke and problems with memory. There is decreased blood flow, oxygenation and nutrient supply to tissues.
Prevents Skin Problems
It promotes both skin and hair glow as it also heals acne. Due to its antibacterial properties, it’s able to eliminate skin bacteria. Wounds are also healed. With improved oxygenation and nutrient supply to the hair, it glows.
There are a number of antioxidants that are capable of neutralising free radicals damage that is suspected to be at the base of carcinogenesis. It’s constituents are also capable of promoting immune enhancement. Through this process then a stimulation of the macrophages leads to the destruction of tumor cells.
Bitter melon is rich in alkaline minerals such as calcium and potassium and hence promotes the neutralisation and elimination of toxic acidic metabolic wastes. It promotes both the liver and kidney cleansing processes. As a result the blood is purified.
Improves Heart Health
The heart benefits greatly from the bitter melon nutrient properties of preventing bad cholesterol from being deposited in the arteries. The arteries in the heart are cleaned up by the bitter melon constituents leading to improved circulation.
Makes Bones Stronger
The high calcium content helps increase the bone density and especially with the prescence of vitamin D hormone. Therefore it may help prevent osteoporosis that is dorminant in post menopausal women.
Bitter melon has antibacterial effects. Hence as it cleanses the kidneys, the whole urinary tract also benefits. Urinary tract infections are treated in the process.
Bitter melon has a constituent known as charantin which exerts a hypoglycemic effect. It also has polypeptide P, a substance that works like insulin. Therefore bitter melon may be useful in the management of diabetes naturally for some people.
Help Manage Weight
Bitter melon promotes a feeling of fullness hence lowers the amount of food consumption. It also has plenty of fibre that helps boost the digestive and metabolic processes. Bitter melon is therefore useful in weight loss management and obesity.
The bitter melon nutrients actually help in the detoxification process as they promote alkalinity in the body cells. The liver obtains vital nutrients that strengthens it’s functions and also promotes its health.
Prevents Premature Aging
When cells are denied appropriate nutrition, they age and die. Therefore the secret of anti-aging is to ensure that the body cells obtain adequate correct nutrition and protection from free radical damage. Bitter melon has a number of vitamins, minerals and other phytonutrients that are capable of promoting a youthful complexion. They exert an antioxidant effect.
Due to its powerful antioxidant effects, it’s able to help prevent cellular damage in the eyes. There is an improved circulation into the eyes bringing in nutrients and oxygen. The vitamin A also is known to be helpful in vision health promotion.
Malaria and Jaundice
Bitter melon has constituents that eradicate parasites including malaria. It also helps in jaundice management.
Bitter melon is useful in the management of haemorrhoids. It has components that help in the repair of damaged tissues. It also improves circulation so that nutrients may be supplied as necessary to the concerned tissues.
- 10 Benefits of Grapes to Your Health – Pentaglax Home RemediesGrapes has many health benefits, including blood pressure control, weight loss, skin health, hair health, blood sugar regulation and cardiovascular health. Nutrition Facts of Grapes Grapes are nutritionally dense. It is rich in vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients. It is also rich in a phytonutrient called resveratrol. It has many therapeutic benefits in preventing and neutralizing …
- Boswellia Health Benefits and Chronic Pain Management – Pentaglax Home RemediesBoswellia serrata or frankinsence contains chemicals that can lower inflammation, pain, reduce swelling and improve the body’s immune response. Extracts of Boswellia serrata juice, bark and other plant parts have been used orally for therapeutic purposes. People use Boswellia serrata to treat osteoarthritis. Nutritional Content Gum resin is a part of Boswellia serrata commonly used …
- 10 Incredible Basil Benefits and Uses – Pentaglax Home RemediesBasil benefits and uses include anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, aids digestion, regulates blood sugar, lowers cholesterol, reduces weight, and more. Basil Nutritional Facts Basil is rich in vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients. It all works together to deliver the health-promoting properties of the leaves, teas and oils. It contains iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, beta carotene, vitamins B1, …
- 7 Benefits of Black Pepper- Pentaglax Home RemediesBlack pepper(Piper Nigrum L) is rich in antioxidants, especially piperine, which has been found to help neutralize free radicals that can damage the body’s cells and cause disease. This compound is also useful as an antibacterial, antioxidant and helps to protect the protective gastroduodenal mucosa. Black Pepper Benefits High in antioxindants Black pepper contains many …
- Depression: Brightening Your Mood With Food – Pentaglax Home RemediesDepression is actually a mental illness that is characterized by gloom over virtually every aspect of an individuals life. The body, mood and and thoughts are all involved. It has become quiet common in these modern times due to a number of factors within and outside the individuals environment. The COVID pandemic has triggered a …