Amaranth is a green leafy vegetable believed to have originated from South America and Mexico. Its found in many countries in the globe and is used for food. There are about six different varieties. The most common colors are the red amaranth and the purple amaranth. The amaranth leaves may be cooked or the grains dried and converted into flour. Amaranth oil is also available. Amaranth supplements are also available in healthy food stores.
Also check 10 Health Benefits of Ginger
Amaranth is a nutritionally dense food. It contains a number of vitamins, minerals and other phytonutrients. They are the ones responsible for its broad range of health benefits. Some notable nutrients include:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin B6
Amaranth is also rich in flavonoids and lysine. They have beneficial health improving properties.
Also check 10 Amazing Health Benefits of Olive Oil
Health Benefits of Amaranth
Amaranth leaves is quiet rich in antioxidants. The vitamins such as C, minerals such as selenium, flavonoids etc make up the team of antioxidants. They help neutralise oxidative stress in the body. Therefore conditions where inflammation exists benefits e.g asthma, allergies, arthritis etc.
Eliminating Varicose Veins
Varicose veins are a menace when those veins lose their elasticity. Amaranth contains antioxidants like flavonoids that may help strengthen the capillary walls. Other vitamins and minerals may also help in healing the damaged tissues.
Also check 10 Health Benefits of Wheat
Weight Loss Management
Amaranth contains proteins that help suppress appetite hence food intake is minimized so as not to gain weight. The digestive process is also improved by the presence of fiber. This also creates a feeling of fullness. Therefore weight is lost naturally.
The immune system is made up of cells and organs that help in the protective function of the body. We have trillions of cells in our body. The health of these cells is a high priority for health to be maintained. Bacteria and viruses sometimes invade these cells leading to disease. In cases of cancer some of these normal cells may develop some genetic defects and grow uncontrollably. This leads to damage of tissues and organs leading to disease.
The antioxidants in amaranth leaves are capable of protecting the body cells from any damage or invasion. Therefore they help boost the immune functions.
The amaranth leaves are quiet rich in calcium. This mineral is essential in the formation and strengthening of bones. Therefore amaranth is suitable for people who want to prevent or manage osteoporosis. Women at menopause are known to suffer from osteoporosis. Therefore amaranth should be part of their healthy dietary plan.
Improves Heart Health
The heart health is enhanced by the nutrients that help prevent the production and deposition of bad cholesterol in the arteries. Therefore there is improved blood supply into the heart. Nutrients and oxygen reach the heart and help it carry ot its functions effectively.
Also check 8 Amazing Health Benefits of Calcium
Aids in Management of Diabetes
Amaranth helps in the regulation of blood sugar. It helps in the promotion of effective digestion due to its fiber content. Since it also prevents deposition of bad cholesterol in the body, it promotes weight loss which also help regulate blood sugar.
Maintain Healthy Cholesterol Levels
Amaranth is known to have fiber and therefore helps improve digestion. It is also known to help control the formation and deposit of LDL or bad cholesterol in the arteries.
Also check 10 Home Remedies Tips For Diabetes
Help Improve Hair Health
Amaranth benefits for the skin and hair is due to the nutrient contents. For the skin and hair to be healthy its important that adequate oxygen and nutrients are available. They also need protection from parasitic infections.
Amaranth leaves contains powerful antioxidants and therefore protects cellular damage from offensive substances on the skin scalp and hair. It also helps boost the nutrient supply through the blood flow system. Toxic wastes are also carried away promptly to the elimination organs. Further the antibacterial and antifungal properties helps keep these away from the skin.
Eliminates Constipation and Bloating
Amaranth leaves contain fiber. Fiber is good for promoting digestive health. It also feeds the gut microbiome helping maintain a healthy gut environment. Constipation and bloating are managed through this process.
Also check 10 Healing Tips for Fibroids
Prevent Development of Cataract and Macular Degeneration
Amaranth leaves contain Vitamin A and beta carotene which are useful for vision health. The antioxidant team also help protect cellular damage to the eye cells hence conditions such as cataract and macular degeneration benefit.
Cancer is a condition in which some rogue cells start to grow without limit, resulting in damage to nearby tissues and organs. Powerful antioxidants in amaranth are known to help prevent free radical damage of body cells that may lead to carcinogenesis.
- 10 Extraordinary Sesame Seeds Health Benefits- Pentaglax Home RemediesSesame seeds are one of the oldest crops in the world and have been used in traditional medicine for centuries. They are an excellent source of essential nutrients, including magnesium, …
- 10 Unbelievable Caraway Seeds Health Benefits – Pentaglax Home RemediesCaraway is the dried fruit of the caraway plant, native to Europe and Asia. The seeds have a pungent flavor similar to anise and are used to flavor a variety …
- 10 Benefits of Grapes to Your Health – Pentaglax Home RemediesGrapes has many health benefits, including blood pressure control, weight loss, skin health, hair health, blood sugar regulation and cardiovascular health. Nutrition Facts of Grapes Grapes are nutritionally dense. It …
- Boswellia Health Benefits and Chronic Pain Management – Pentaglax Home RemediesBoswellia serrata or frankinsence contains chemicals that can lower inflammation, pain, reduce swelling and improve the body’s immune response. Extracts of Boswellia serrata juice, bark and other plant parts have …
- 10 Incredible Basil Benefits and Uses – Pentaglax Home RemediesBasil benefits and uses include anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, aids digestion, regulates blood sugar, lowers cholesterol, reduces weight, and more. Basil Nutritional Facts Basil is rich in vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients. It …