Dark chocolate is a type of chocolate that contains 50-60% cocoa, sugar and flavourings such as vanilla. It does not contain any added milk solids.
Dark chocolate is a rich source of antioxidants and minerals such as riboflavin, niacin, magnesium, Iron, copper, zinc, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, manganese, omega 6 fatty acids, caffeine and theobromine.
Dark Chocolate Benefits
Here are the 10 health benefits of eating dark chocolate:
1. Boost memory
Research has proven that dark chocolate boosts memory 2hours after consumption.
In summary, dark chocolate improves memory by changing your brain wave frequencies and it can even help in stress reduction.
2. Heart health
Dark chocolate has been found to promote heart health due to the presence of adequate flavonoids, especially a subtype known as flavanols.
According to studies, you are advised to consume 30 to 60grams of dark chocolate since excess consumption can raise your calories levels.
Dark chocolate is known for regulating blood sugar levels due to the presence of a certain type of micronutrient known as polyphenols.
Polyphenols aid in improving the work of insulin.
Dark chocolate contains catechins and procyanidins, antioxidants that protects you from oxidative stress and inflammation thus protecting you from cancer risk.
5. Skin health
The vitamins, iron, and calcium present in dark chocolate aids in moisturizing your skin.
Dark chocolate also contains flavonoids that are known to protect the skin from harmfull UV light, which reduces the risk of skin cancer and sunburn.
Research has shown dark chocolate to have powerful effects in reducing cough compared to codeine syrup.
This is due to the presence of an alkaloid in cocoa known as theobromine.
Research has shown that taking 10 to 14grams of dark chocolate per day may improve the blood flow to your brain which in return boosts the cognitive performance.
Cognitive skills include learning, reading, remembering, paying attention and reasoning. The weakness of any of the cognitive skills may create a very huge impact on how you use information.
8. Boosts the immune system
Dark chocolate is filled with flavonoids.
Flavonoids are known to have anti-inflammatory properties thus protecting you from infections, woundings, pathogens or harmful chemicals. This leads to a strong immune system.
9. Lower blood pressure
Research has shown that the flavonoids present in cocoa produce nitric oxide, which is known to relax the blood vessels and lower the blood pressure.
10. Promotes good cholesterol and reduces bad cholesterol
Studies have shown that eating dark chocolate may help you boost your good HDL cholesterol and reduce your bad LDL cholesterol levels.
Dark chocolate prevents the oxidation of LDL cholesterol, which may lead to artherogenesis. Artherogenesis is the damage caused to your organs and arteries due to the oxidation of LDL cholesterol.
- 10 Extraordinary Sesame Seeds Health Benefits- Pentaglax Home RemediesSesame seeds are one of the oldest crops in the world and have …
- 10 Unbelievable Caraway Seeds Health Benefits – Pentaglax Home RemediesCaraway is the dried fruit of the caraway plant, native to Europe and …
- 10 Benefits of Grapes to Your Health – Pentaglax Home RemediesGrapes has many health benefits, including blood pressure control, weight loss, skin health, …
- Boswellia Health Benefits and Chronic Pain Management – Pentaglax Home RemediesBoswellia serrata or frankinsence contains chemicals that can lower inflammation, pain, reduce swelling …
- 10 Incredible Basil Benefits and Uses – Pentaglax Home RemediesBasil benefits and uses include anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, aids digestion, regulates blood sugar, lowers …