The functioning of the brain is largely dependent on the quality of blood circulation and the provision of nutrients. Oxygen and nutrients, including antioxidants, are all essential to the healthy functioning of the brain. A number of nutrients are discussed here and we highlight their usefulness in constructing a healthy brain function.
Brain Boosting Nutrients
Turmeric is a spice that has a certain number of medically active nutrients. Curcuminoids are known to help shield our brain cells from damage caused by free radicals. It is also praised for being able to improve memory performance among subjects who use it as part of their dish.
Vitamin D is a key component of brain health. It has been observed that people living with Alzheimers or dementias tend to have lower levels of vitamin D. It is considered a neuroprotector and contributes to the reduction of inflammation.
Some common sources of natural vitamin D include fatty fish, egg yolk, mushrooms,safe sun exposure etc.
DHA (docosahexanoic acid) is an omega-3 fatty acid that is abundant in the brain. It assists in promoting better brain function. Low DHA levels can lead to poor learning abilities. Good DHA concentration, by contrast, improves learning.
Some common natural sources of DHA include tuna, mackerel, salmon and sardines.
Resveratrol can improve blood circulation in the brain. It also has strong anti-inflammatory properties and therefore helps protect brain tissue. Therefore, it is helpful both in preventing and managing conditions such as dementia and Alzheimers disease.
Some common natural sources include raspberries, peanuts, pistachios, grape, wine, chocolate, blueberries, huckleberries and cocoa.
We’ve learned that gut health affects the brain. It is therefore important to use appropriate probiotics to improve our intestinal health and hence our cerebral health. Probiotics usually come from fermented foods like yoghurt, kefir and sauerkraut. The genera Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium are most helpful in this regard.
Some natural common sources of probiotics include yoghurt, sauerkraut, apple cider vinegar(with mother), kombucha, kefir, aged cheese, natto, fermented vegetables etc.
Alpha Lipoic Acid
Alpha lipoic acid is a powerful antioxidant. It can help improve neurotransmitter effects during aging, thereby stimulating cognitive functions.
Some common natural sources include beets, tomatoes, broccoli, spinach, carrots, brewers yeast, peas, red meat and organ meats etc.
All of the above nutrients are commercially available in the form of supplements. The nutrients may also be obtained from a variety of food combinations.
- 10 Benefits of Grapes to Your Health – Pentaglax Home RemediesGrapes has many health benefits, including blood pressure control, weight loss, skin health, hair health, blood sugar regulation and cardiovascular health. Nutrition Facts of Grapes Grapes are nutritionally dense. It …
- Boswellia Health Benefits and Chronic Pain Management – Pentaglax Home RemediesBoswellia serrata or frankinsence contains chemicals that can lower inflammation, pain, reduce swelling and improve the body’s immune response. Extracts of Boswellia serrata juice, bark and other plant parts have …
- 10 Incredible Basil Benefits and Uses – Pentaglax Home RemediesBasil benefits and uses include anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, aids digestion, regulates blood sugar, lowers cholesterol, reduces weight, and more. Basil Nutritional Facts Basil is rich in vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients. It …
- 7 Benefits of Black Pepper- Pentaglax Home RemediesBlack pepper(Piper Nigrum L) is rich in antioxidants, especially piperine, which has been found to help neutralize free radicals that can damage the body’s cells and cause disease. This compound …
- Depression: Brightening Your Mood With Food – Pentaglax Home RemediesDepression is actually a mental illness that is characterized by gloom over virtually every aspect of an individuals life. The body, mood and and thoughts are all involved. It has …