Oregano (origanum vulgare) is a plant of the Lamiacea family and is also referred to as wild marjoram. The dried leaves and flowering tops are used globally to add flavor to meals and treat health problems.
The oregano plant is quiet rich in medicinally active nutrients. Some of these nutrients include:
- Vitamin K
- Vitamin E
- Beta carotene
Most of these nutrients help promote good health e,g the fiber helps promote good digestive health. The lutein is quiet useful in the protection of the eye and improvement of vision.
Health Benefits of Oregano
The oregano plant contains several nutrients that have antibacterial properties. Some of them are thymol and cavarcol. These are known to help neutralize sturbbon infections such as staphylococcus. Oregano also has a number of nutritional elements which are potent antioxidants. They help to protect cells from damage from free radicals.
Blood Sugar Regulation
Oregano nutrients are very useful in controlling hyperglycemia since they improve pancreatic activity to produce more insulin.This helps decrease high blood sugar levels.
Blockage of the heart’s arteries is the most common cause of heart health problems. That’s because there’s bad circulation and supply of nutrients. We know that LDL or bad cholesterol favors this situation. Consuming oregano oil has proven helpful in reducing LDL cholesterol and thus improves heart health.
Oregano has a combination of fibre and antibacterial and antifungal properties. They are useful in promoting bowel health. The fiber can feed the gut microbiome while bad bacteria and fungal outgrowths may be neutralized. This may help alleviate abdominal discomfort. Oregano can also promote the secretion of digestive juices, thus promoting healthy digestion.
Oregano is known to be rich in antioxidants which are able to protect the body’s cells against free radical damage. It is thought that cancer cells are the result of free radical damage on the DNA of healthy cells. Oregano promotes apoptosis or cell death and thus contributes to the elimination of the cancerous cell population. It is also known for its antibacterial and antifungal properties.
Oregano is rich in potent antioxidants which also carry out anti-inflammatory activities. As a result, conditions like arthritis, allergies and asthma may benefit.
Oregano contributes to reducing fear which may lead to the manifestation of anxiety. This helps to calm nerves, muscles and body. It promotes the release of dopamine, thus helping to reduce depression.
Oregano has strong anti-fungal properties. It can inhibit fungal skin infections, athletes foot and ringworms. It is also rich in anti-oxidants that help protect cells from damage caused by free radicals.
Oregano tea or oil can be used as appropriate to obtain its vast health benefits. It is also used as a spice and thus a great easy way to enjoy its health benefits. The oil can be applied in painful areas through massage.
High Blood Pressure
Oregano helps in lowering the deposition of LDL or bad cholesterol in the arteries. Therefore, it helps lower the blood pressure through the prevention of arterial constriction. It works amazingly when combined with cinnamon and turmeric in blood pressure lowering.
- Top 10 Chamomile Health Benefits – Pentaglax Home RemediesChamomile is a plant that has been used for centuries for its medicinal properties. Chamomile tea is made from the dried flower heads of the plant and has a variety …
- Top 10 Orange Health Benefits – Pentaglax Home RemediesOranges are a good source of Vitamin C, which can help boost your immune system and help you fight off infections. They can also help improve your skin health and …
- 10 Extraordinary Sesame Seeds Health Benefits- Pentaglax Home RemediesSesame seeds are one of the oldest crops in the world and have been used in traditional medicine for centuries. They are an excellent source of essential nutrients, including magnesium, …
- 10 Unbelievable Caraway Seeds Health Benefits – Pentaglax Home RemediesCaraway is the dried fruit of the caraway plant, native to Europe and Asia. The seeds have a pungent flavor similar to anise and are used to flavor a variety …
- 10 Benefits of Grapes to Your Health – Pentaglax Home RemediesGrapes has many health benefits, including blood pressure control, weight loss, skin health, hair health, blood sugar regulation and cardiovascular health. Nutrition Facts of Grapes Grapes are nutritionally dense. It …