Oregano (origanum vulgare) is a plant of the Lamiacea family and is also referred to as wild marjoram. The dried leaves and flowering tops are used globally to add flavor to meals and treat health problems.
The oregano plant is quiet rich in medicinally active nutrients. Some of these nutrients include:
- Vitamin K
- Vitamin E
- Beta carotene
Most of these nutrients help promote good health e,g the fiber helps promote good digestive health. The lutein is quiet useful in the protection of the eye and improvement of vision.
Health Benefits of Oregano
The oregano plant contains several nutrients that have antibacterial properties. Some of them are thymol and cavarcol. These are known to help neutralize sturbbon infections such as staphylococcus. Oregano also has a number of nutritional elements which are potent antioxidants. They help to protect cells from damage from free radicals.
Blood Sugar Regulation
Oregano nutrients are very useful in controlling hyperglycemia since they improve pancreatic activity to produce more insulin.This helps decrease high blood sugar levels.
Blockage of the heart’s arteries is the most common cause of heart health problems. That’s because there’s bad circulation and supply of nutrients. We know that LDL or bad cholesterol favors this situation. Consuming oregano oil has proven helpful in reducing LDL cholesterol and thus improves heart health.
Oregano has a combination of fibre and antibacterial and antifungal properties. They are useful in promoting bowel health. The fiber can feed the gut microbiome while bad bacteria and fungal outgrowths may be neutralized. This may help alleviate abdominal discomfort. Oregano can also promote the secretion of digestive juices, thus promoting healthy digestion.
Oregano is known to be rich in antioxidants which are able to protect the body’s cells against free radical damage. It is thought that cancer cells are the result of free radical damage on the DNA of healthy cells. Oregano promotes apoptosis or cell death and thus contributes to the elimination of the cancerous cell population. It is also known for its antibacterial and antifungal properties.
Oregano is rich in potent antioxidants which also carry out anti-inflammatory activities. As a result, conditions like arthritis, allergies and asthma may benefit.
Oregano contributes to reducing fear which may lead to the manifestation of anxiety. This helps to calm nerves, muscles and body. It promotes the release of dopamine, thus helping to reduce depression.
Oregano has strong anti-fungal properties. It can inhibit fungal skin infections, athletes foot and ringworms. It is also rich in anti-oxidants that help protect cells from damage caused by free radicals.
Oregano tea or oil can be used as appropriate to obtain its vast health benefits. It is also used as a spice and thus a great easy way to enjoy its health benefits. The oil can be applied in painful areas through massage.
High Blood Pressure
Oregano helps in lowering the deposition of LDL or bad cholesterol in the arteries. Therefore, it helps lower the blood pressure through the prevention of arterial constriction. It works amazingly when combined with cinnamon and turmeric in blood pressure lowering.
- 10 Benefits of Grapes to Your Health – Pentaglax Home RemediesGrapes has many health benefits, including blood pressure control, weight loss, skin health, hair health, blood sugar regulation and cardiovascular health. Nutrition Facts of Grapes Grapes are nutritionally dense. It …
- Boswellia Health Benefits and Chronic Pain Management – Pentaglax Home RemediesBoswellia serrata or frankinsence contains chemicals that can lower inflammation, pain, reduce swelling and improve the body’s immune response. Extracts of Boswellia serrata juice, bark and other plant parts have …
- 10 Incredible Basil Benefits and Uses – Pentaglax Home RemediesBasil benefits and uses include anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, aids digestion, regulates blood sugar, lowers cholesterol, reduces weight, and more. Basil Nutritional Facts Basil is rich in vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients. It …
- 7 Benefits of Black Pepper- Pentaglax Home RemediesBlack pepper(Piper Nigrum L) is rich in antioxidants, especially piperine, which has been found to help neutralize free radicals that can damage the body’s cells and cause disease. This compound …
- Depression: Brightening Your Mood With Food – Pentaglax Home RemediesDepression is actually a mental illness that is characterized by gloom over virtually every aspect of an individuals life. The body, mood and and thoughts are all involved. It has …