A peptic ulcer is an open wound in the stomach or small intestine due to erosion of the stomach or intestinal mucous membrane. It forms when digestive acids and enzymes begin to digest the protective gastroduodenal mucous coating on the stomach walls or due to bacterial infection by h.pylori.
Gastroduodenal ulcers affect millions of individuals at some point in their lives.
The stomach (gastric ulcers) and duodenum (duodenal ulcers) are the most common locations for ulcers.
What causes peptic ulcers
1. There is a bacteria that has been identified to promote the excessive secretion of hydrochloric acid in the stomach. It is called the h. pylori (helicobacter pylori). It is an acid resistant bacteria and hence may become quiet stubborn in an attempt to eliminate it.
2. There are drugs that are known to cause the corrosion of the mucosal protection of the stomach. Some common known ones are aspirin and the group of NSAIDs e.g diclofenac. This may therefore promote the gastro-intestinal tract corrosion.
3. Stress is known to promote an excessive production of the stomach acid. Remember that the stomach has been referred to as the sound board of the mind.
4. Certain drugs and supplements may also increase stomach acid production.
5. Steroids like those taken by arthritis patients can lead to stomach ulcers.
6. Having a family history of peptic ulcers, heavy consumption of alcohol, and heavy smoking increases the risk of peptic ulcers.
In addition, heavy smokers may have great trouble getting their ulcers to heal.
Beneficial Foods For Peptic Ulcers
Yogurt contains probiotics.
Probiotics are friendly bacteria usually present in the digestive system.
Yogurt is helpful in changing the bacterial culture of the gut.
Apple is a good source of potassium, magnesium, and calcium. These help neutralize excessive acid and also promote healing of damaged tissues in conjunction with other nutrients. Vitamins A,C, Zinc etc are all available.
Pears have naturally occurring phenolic compounds which are mostly found in the skin than in the fruit.
Fermented pear juice has inhibitory properties against the growth of the H.pylori bacterium.
Oatmeal is a non-acidic, nutritious, and fiber-rich food.
It prevents symptoms of ulcers by creating an alkaline environment in the stomach.
5. SWEET POTATO
Sweet potatoes have abundant amounts of antioxidants.
They have soothing and anti-inflammatory properties which reduce inflammation and pain of ulcers.
6. RED BELL PEPPER
Red bell pepper is rich in vitamin C.
Vitamin C plays a role in wound healing thus protecting you from ulcers.
Soybeans contain vitamin E, high fiber, omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants.
Kale contains calcium, B vitamins, and sulforaphane, a compound that exhibits anti-H. Pylori activity. However, in some people kale may be a problem and hence may need to be omitted from the diet program. Cabbage may act as a better akternative.
9. GREEN TEA
Green tea contains chemicals called catechins which have been linked with anti-bacterial activity.
Legumes are high in fiber.
Fiber lowers the amount of acid in the stomach and eases pain.
- 10 Benefits of Grapes to Your Health – Pentaglax Home RemediesGrapes has many health benefits, including blood pressure control, weight loss, skin health, hair health, blood sugar regulation and cardiovascular health. Nutrition Facts of Grapes Grapes are nutritionally dense. It is …
- Boswellia Health Benefits and Chronic Pain Management – Pentaglax Home RemediesBoswellia serrata or frankinsence contains chemicals that can lower inflammation, pain, reduce swelling and improve the body’s immune response. Extracts of Boswellia serrata juice, bark and other plant parts have been …
- 10 Incredible Basil Benefits and Uses – Pentaglax Home RemediesBasil benefits and uses include anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, aids digestion, regulates blood sugar, lowers cholesterol, reduces weight, and more. Basil Nutritional Facts Basil is rich in vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients. It all …
- 7 Benefits of Black Pepper- Pentaglax Home RemediesBlack pepper(Piper Nigrum L) is rich in antioxidants, especially piperine, which has been found to help neutralize free radicals that can damage the body’s cells and cause disease. This compound is …
- Depression: Brightening Your Mood With Food – Pentaglax Home RemediesDepression is actually a mental illness that is characterized by gloom over virtually every aspect of an individuals life. The body, mood and and thoughts are all involved. It has become …